HFD Rules Strip Center Fire in Westchase Area an Accidental Fire
On June 26 a fire erupted in a shopping center located in the Westchase area of Houston. Firefighters arrived to find smoke pouring from the middle of the strip center. The fire department responded to the incident after hours and had to force entry into the commercial retail business.
The fire was found in the middle of the shopping center at Chuy's Mexican Food restaurant. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire which was later found to be caused by fault electrical.
There were 25 people inside the restaurant at the time, all were evacuated safely. After extinguishing the fire Houston Fire Department members did a sweep of the connecting stores but found no live fire, only smoke and soot damage.
Crews from Station 2, 68, 78, 10, 69, 83, 75 and 24 all mobilized to the fire scene.